- Welcome, Attendance, & Daily Plan
- Game of the Week Contest
- Group Gathering
- Secret Handshake
- Commencement Speech Introduction
- What are you most looking forward to about Commencement?
- What is one thing that you think is important for an effective Commencement Speech?
- Ellen DeGeneres at Tulane's 2006 Commencement
- Ellen at Tulane Commencement 2009
- Activity--Commencement Speech Four Square-Ellen DeGeneres
- Make a Four-Square Chart
- Square 1--Impactful Quotes
- What impactful quotes does Ellen share? These quotes can include quotes Ellen attributes to others and/or quotes Ellen creates herself.
- Square 2--Memorable Stories
- What memorable stories does Ellen share? These can be about her and/or others.
- Square 3--Important Messages
- What important messages does Ellen share?
- Square 4--Personal Reaction to Speech
- What is your personal reaction to Ellen speeches? What stands out to you? What does she do well? What could she do better?
- Group Share
- Class Discussion
- Plan for Future Classes
HOMEWORK (Official at 3:15 P.M.)
- Activity--Commencement Speech Quotes (DUE Wednesday/Thursday)
- Respond to the following questions:
- Find at least TWO QUOTES that could be effectively used in your speech. WRITE THEM DOWN. Be sure to give credit (state) whomever wrote or spoke the quote.
UPCOMING (Subject to Adjustments)
- Tuesday--NO SCHOOL
- Wednesday/Thursday (Block)--
- Public Speaking Notebook Table of Contents--This is the current table of contents for Public Speaking. You may reference this document to make sure you've included all activities in your notebook TOC.
- The Writing Center--The Writing Center is staffed by English teachers and trained student writing coaches who work with students in one-on-one conferences to help them grow as writers. Face-to-face conferences during lunch and online conferences are open in the evening.
- Email Mr. Buckley--Do you have a question or a comment? Feel free to email Mr. Buckley anytime.